Shared Future Oregon – A Comprehensive Plan for Living + Aging
This is THE Moment to Build on Our Interconnectedness + Strength
The number of Oregonians 65+ will double by 2030. This means older adults will outnumber children under 18 for the first time ever. This permanent shift in our population affects individuals, families and communities, especially in rural areas where this shift is already underway. While the challenges ahead are great, so is the potential. AGE+ is proposing a comprehensive strategy to rethink how aging affects the way society perceives, plans for and responds to older adults.
A Comprehensive Plan for Living + Aging:
- Is a cross-sector effort that includes strategies for 10 or more years
- Includes a broad pool of stakeholders from the beginning of the process
- Is institutionalized by executive and legislative branches
- Is developed to guide the restructuring of state and local policy, programs and funding that is geared toward aging well in the community
Shared Future Benefits Communities by:
- Building partnerships among government agencies and departments
- Facilitating collaboration among diverse groups, families, businesses and many more public and private stakeholders
- Promoting equity and inclusion to combat bias and discrimination
- Raising awareness and responding to the impact of aging policy across the lifespan
A Comprehensive Plan for Living + Aging incorporates the framework of AARP’s Age-Friendly Communities.
Why Is This Important?
Our population shift means that we will experience a greater demand for comprehensive services—but that’s not all. This is a profound opportunity as older adults are often untapped assets. By creating a framework for cross-sector supports + services across the lifespan, we can follow a strengths-based approach to help all communities thrive.
Pledge Support for Shared Future Oregon!
Now is the time to advance statewide goals and policies centered on aging well and becoming an Age-Friendly State! Join AGE+, AARP Oregon and our other community partners today!