Older adults are disproportionately susceptible to viruses – including the coronavirus COVID-19. Those with inadequate access to health care or who have unstable housing are especially vulnerable. At this time, taking sensible precautions is not only important, but necessary, especially for those working with older adults.
All people should take these basic steps to protect those most at risk:
• Never visit a hospital or long-term-care facility if you have a fever or cough illness.
• Cover your mouth and nose when you cough or sneeze.
• Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds.
• Avoid touching your eyes, nose, or mouth with unwashed hands.
• Stay home if you feel ill.